Wednesday, 13 February 2008

'Twins' card

This card goes with the bootie that I posted yesterday. It doesn't look how I thought it would, but I think it turned out okay. I had planned to use a few buttons etc but I couldn't fit them on without it looking over done.

The letters are some that I found on eBay, bought them for doing a scrapbook for my eldest but never got round to using them. I covered a tag with gingham paper - the same as I used on the box - and added the letter and an eyelet. Put eyelets on the background piece as well and threaded some pale blue ribbon through.

I used my concave punch for the corners and used a Papermania brad on each one. I have to say I'm not overly keen on these brads. They look nice enough, but several had fallen apart when I opened the packet, and some are totally squashed so you can't use them. Also they don't sit straight when they're opened out as they're not bent right. Maybe I was just unlucky and got a bad batch?

I also bought some Whispers Strokes pens today. The pastel set. I could never afford the copics I really want, so figured these would do. I'd not heard many good things about them, but so far I've found the colours are fine for what I want to use them for, namely colouring my nellies!

So, that's what I'm off to do now - colour nellie's whilst watching Alias on DVD for like the gazillionth time!!

Tuesday, 12 February 2008

Happy Birthday Me... and A Baby Bootie

I made this for a neighbour who has just had twin boys. I love making them, they come together really quickly. There will be a card to go with it, but that's not finished yet!

The boot itself is finished with peel offs - perfect for using them up, and one of the only things I use them for now - and a bow. The label has a cute little sticker, a beaded nappy pin. It's really sparkly and nice, but doesn't really show up too well on the photos. The ribbon has 'baby' written on it - you can just about see it. The buckle is a Papermania brad.

Now, the box. I covered a sheet of card with DCWV pale blue gingham paper. Its about 10cm x 10cm, and 5cm high. The lid was made in the almost the same way, but I cut an aperture in the top and put in a piece of acetate. Again it's finished with peel offs (to hide the joins!) as this time I made the lid and added the paper afterwards. Finally I added another bow, to match the boot.

So, I'm off to enjoy some birthday (cheese)cake... a belgian chocolate one, too!

Saturday, 2 February 2008

I've been playing...

... with my new Bind-it-All! I can't believe how easy it is to use - it looks complicated, but it really isn't, and is well worth the money. I got mine for £44.99 from A1 Crafts and it's only £2 postage! Really good service too, it arrived in 2 days.

So, I started with a birthday calendar. I sorted out the pages - nice and easy, half A4 - and I have them now so I can either use them again or change the fonts etc. This took longer than actually putting it together. For the cover, I used a piece of cardstock covered with paper (can't remember where it came from) and used DCWV paper to cover the inside of the cover - the blue piece. The label on the front was done in a word processor program and cut out with a 3" scallop punch, then finished with a microbead sticker. The date pages were printed on plain white card, and the back page is just pink card. It's a bit thicker than normal cardstock, and I got it from
The Paper Mill Shop in one of their mixed boxes. I used a 1/2" silver wire.

Now, I'm off to play with my new Sugar Nellie 'Lola' stamps, and see if I can't come up with something that uses both new toys!